Monday, May 5, 2008

The Boys Are Back in Town......

I don't watch SNL too much these days. I once viewed it pretty religiously, but I got older, and SNL has always skewed demographically towards an 18-30 male demographic. A couple of weeks ago, I was hanging out with my nephew on a saturday night and SNL came on so we watched it. Ashley Ketchup was the guest host. Apparently he is a young actor, graced with some comedic talent. Plus, I hear he is married to an older actress of some renown, Demi Glaze. Anyway...we were chatting, hanging out....until Gnarls Barkley came out and sang "Run". The group completely re-energized the show, which had been lackluster until that point! When I stopped watching SNL many moons ago, there were very few bands that could come out and change the entire tenor of the show with their performances. One was Neil Young, who sang "Keep on Rocking in the Free World" in 1989. Another was the late, great Roy Orbison. He came out and had the entire audience under his gaze when he sang "Crying" with Dennis Hopper as guest host. Of course there have been others. Elvis Costello during the second or third season, when he changed his playlist at the last minute, Gil Scott Heron, Patti Smith, Nirvana, David Bowie. But it seems these days, when you have people like Ashley Simpson performing.....well, you understand. I am nostalgic, and nostalgia is nothing but melancholic by nature.......

No comments: